Monday, June 10, 2013

Dairy-Free Protein Shakes/Smoothies

Before I thought of doing a dairy-free blog, I posted this smoothie recipe on my other blog. Those dairy-free protein powders are too expensive for me, so I whipped up my own substitute. Not quite as packed with protein, but still contains a large amount. I've got a buddy who is really into the protein powders, working out, etc and he's told me that the amount of protein you get in one of those shakes is more than your body can process anyway. The difference is only 7-5 g anyway, which I feel is negligible.

1/2 - 1 cup non-dairy milk*
2 Tbsp flax seed
1 Tbsp almond butter
1/2 banana

Nutrition Facts (base only):
228-278 calories
12-14 g fat
360-485 mg potassium
23-27 g carbohydrates
      6-7 g fiber
      10-12 g sugar
9-13 g protein  

I'm a big smoothie person; they are my go to breakfast. So, I normally just pack up 1-2 cups of fruit/veggies/greens along with the banana in a small container or bag and freeze them up ahead of time. Then just dump into a blender, add the non-dairy milk, almond butter, and flax seed, and blend away. No ice needed. They make very thick smoothies, almost like an ice cream shake. Also, for those of you who aren't a fan of bananas (that would be me), only using half adds protein and substance without an overpowering flavor.

*for these purposes, the amounts are based off soy milk (Soy Dream original enriched), although I often use vanilla almond milk (or whatever is on sale).


No comments:

Post a Comment