Sunday, February 26, 2017

Trader Joe's Mozarella Shreds

So we were exploring Trader Joe's and I went in search of dairy free options. I noticed TJ's has their own versions of mozzarella style shreds, so I picked up a bag of each which were comparable in price to normal shredded cheese (a tad more expensive, but a good deal cheaper than other brands).

Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds
I've heard a lot of back and forth on Daiya, so I thought I would try a different brand off the bat. Online I have seen these shreds compared to Daiya and the general opinion seems to be they taste similar or maybe a little bit better. Unfortunately I did not like them. Just right off the bat the taste was awful to me, which makes me think I am going to be on that anti-Daiya boat (for shreds, so far no complaints about their cream cheese). I also found the texture to be harder than normal shreds. I picked these up because the bag says they melt and stretch like real cheese, but I never even got to that point :(

Almond Mozzarella Style Shreds
So these are not 100% dairy free. They are 99% lactose free but still contain casein (ingredients include parmesan and pasteurized milk). So while this should be a clear no for me, my allergy is not at a dangerous level and even with intolerance I can handle a small amount of dairy before suffering GI issues. I decided to give it a go, plus it also advertises the ability to melt and stretch like real cheese. Taste-wise, they are fairly bland. They taste more like almond than cheese, which is not necessarily bad but certainly not what I was looking for. The texture is much more like actual shredded cheese though. I haven't tried them on a pizza or anything that requires melting yet, but I'll hang on to them for future experiments. If you can handle small amounts, I would would say give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment