Saturday, August 13, 2016

Whole Foods

I finally got to hit up Whole Foods in Wheaton, IL. After Trader Joe's (which I still love, so will hit up again when I have more time), and not super successful web searches, I went in with an open mind but not very high results. Holy crap you guys! SO MANY OPTIONS!

I wanted to sample everything, but actually had multiple choices everywhere so had to hunker down and pick and choose between them. I tried to spread this across brands, but also will admit I looked at the prices and sales (dairy-free is expensive!).

In the end this is what I walked away with:
  • Chao original slices
  • Follow Your Heart American slices
  • Earth Balance soy free sticks (*already have original in tub from Jewel)
  • Kite Hill ricotta
  • Daiya plain cream cheese
  • Nancy's cultured soy plain yogurt
  • Thai Kitchen Coconut Cream (*have tried Goya cream of coconut - which is more like sweetened condensed milk, btw - and coconut milk already)

Unfortunately I didn't see any Greek style yogurt, which is what I really wanted. However, I know it's available as I've seen people online that have found it. There were so many yogurts though I may have missed it, or it could just be something Whole Foods doesn't carry. I'll keep my eyes peeled, but the plain unsweetened still gives me a few options to play with.

I also picked up some of the other supplies I need to try out Miyoko's cheese recipes:
  • brown miso
  • xanthan gum

I still need to find a few items:
  • rejuvelac (I know I can make it, but in the interest of time wanted to buy... supposedly this is possible, but I'm not finding it)
  • agar powder/carrageenan powder
  • coconut oil
  • nutritional yeast flakes
  • sea salt? (does it matter that much?)
  • canola oil? (can I use olive oil instead?)

No comments:

Post a Comment