Thursday, October 6, 2016

Kite Hill Soft Ripened

We had our bi-monthly wine night the other day. When it was hosted at my house I had an array of snacks. Now my old roommate and buddy has moved out and we go to his place. I got hooked on baked brie with an apple-date chutney. Running out of time I had resorted to unbaked brie with fig jam (a combo I learned about from a friend, and boy is it delicious!). However, DF means no more brie for me...

I picked up Kite Hill's soft ripened over the weekend, and decided to put it to the ultimate test at wine night! I did a quick taste test the day before and the texture is good (not as creamy, but still very soft and spreadable). It looked pink at first, but the next day that seemed to mellow. Plain it was alright (nothing special), but once you spread it on a cracker, and especially when you paired it with the fig jam, this was absolutely delicious!

About half of the people there gave it a try and we demolished it! I brought an actual brie as well, but the Kite Hill was gone first (granted it is smaller, but still it was a hit and everyone that tried it liked it). I haven't tried it baked yet, but I think that is coming up on the agenda. We do this the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month, so plenty of opportunity to find out how it bakes up!

I'm also looking forward to giving the ricotta a go (going to use this on a pizza in the near future, although I have also gotten recommendations for Daiya's mozz shreds for a good melting cheese as well, and if all goes well may try it in a lasagna perhaps with the Daiya since my recipe calls for ricotta and mozz). I am also looking forward to trying the other Kite Hill cheeses. I've heard good things about the cream cheese, and I think the soft ones will be a good goat cheese sub.

Also look for me to get off my lazy bum and make some of the cheeses in Miyoko's book: Vegan Artisan Cheese. Kite Hill is delicious, but if I can get my roommates on board I think making some of these will be more cost-effective ~_n

No comments:

Post a Comment